Sunday, August 13, 2006

Internship at Martin Collegiate

So. This is it. It's about two weeks away from the beginning of my internship at Martin, and what have I done?

I gathered some information regarding accounting, because right about now it scares the shit out of me. I know Randy (my co-op) will be there to help constantly, but how can I be confident to teach something that I have never really studied myself? Hopefully I can get a grasp on it before I have to teach it. Or else I will "stay a few pages ahead of the kids, and you'll do fine" - Frank McCourt, 'Tis (great book). I will have a better idea of where I am once I review those pages that I got about 2 months ago and haven't touched since... :o

I also recently gathered some information on the CCH class that I am going to be teaching. However, I will only be teaching the 'C' portion of it (computers) which is comprised of keyboarding... keyboarding... and oh, um... keyboarding! I am excited that I will be able to start off with something that I can teach with my eyes closed like that because then I might be able to focus on building some relationships with other teachers, and getting my extracurricular portion done earlier.

The most exciting thought in my mind at the moment is that I am going to be able to coach the hockey team, most likely. I haven't been on skates in a few years really, but I used to love hockey like nothing else, and I consider myself a pretty good player. Hopefully, I will still be able to play floor hockey at the UofR while I'm in my internship. Though for the first time in 4 years, I will not be the captain.

I am doing this first blog entry on my new laptop that I got from the UofR for which to aid in my volunteer effort group called the "Digital Internship Project". The aim is to use computers, technology, and online resources to better teach our students. Currently, I do not know exaclty how I am going to fit it in to some areas, but I have some decent ideas in other areas. Like keyboarding is easy, you go to some webpage and there's tests and games and stuff... that's cool. But for Accounting, it's all project based with Randy. That's cool, I think. I am sure I can find some cool demonstrations and/or activities online for Chemistry. That's probably what I'd be most excited about finding and doing, however with the time frame of it falling during my 3-week block, it will be the most stressful time of all.

There are a few comforting thoughts whenever I get scared of internship. 1) 99% of people that get to this point pass their internship and go on to become successful teachers (well... teachers, anyway). 2) If things go wrong with my lessons, I'm more likely to be forgiven because I'm participating in this Digital project, and it's more exploratory and less conventional and more likely to go wrong due to technology and its limitations and problems. 3) Randy has been doing this forever, and he will not let me fail, whether he has to spoon feed me Accounting until I get it in to my thick head! I still can not understand how they teach accounting so much differently than in University, and then expect me to be able to teach it so easily!! Argh!

Well, that is all for the first, and likely biggest post. I should be writing daily about my thoughts and feelings about internship once it gets going. It will be fun to look back on it later and see how angry I was at this, or how disappointed I was in that, or how this or that could have been done differently, or how I had that "magic moment" as they say. Yes... all the joys and such. Two weeks left. Two. Weeks. Maybe I'll throw a poem or two in here as I go? haha. That is all.

Danny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home